Temporary Status : Work Permits

A Work Permit is needed for most temporary jobs in Canada, though for some positions and business people it is not necessary.

If you wish to work in Canada, it is important to be aware of the following information:

  • Your eligibility for a Work Permit is often determined by your employer. They may need to submit a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) application to Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) for approval. A positive LMIA decision confirms that the employer has made efforts to hire a Canadian citizen or permanent resident for the position but was unsuccessful, thus necessitating the hiring of a foreign worker.
  • In most cases, a favorable LMIA decision is required before applying for a Work Permit.
  • To work in Canada, you must meet the general requirements for entry and stay, in addition to the specific requirements for obtaining a Work Permit. This may include obtaining a Temporary Resident (Visitor) Visa.
  • A Work Permit does not grant permanent residency in Canada. To live in Canada permanently, you must submit an Application for Permanent Residence, which will undergo an approval process.
  • If you want your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children to accompany you to Canada while you work, they can apply for temporary status in Canada simultaneously with your Work Permit application.

Eligibility to apply from outside Canada

To apply for a Work Permit from outside Canada, you must provide the following documents:

  • A job offer from a Canadian employer
  • A completed application demonstrating compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its Regulations
  • Written confirmation from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) that the employer is authorized to hire a foreign worker for the job, known as a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA).

In most cases, it is the responsibility of your employer to obtain the written confirmation. However, some situations may not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment.

You must also do the following:

  • Convince a visa officer that you will leave Canada upon the expiry of your Work Permit.
  • Demonstrate sufficient funds to support yourself and your family during your stay in Canada.
  • Have a clean criminal record, which may require a police clearance certificate.
  • Prove that you do not pose a security risk to Canada.
  • Be in good health, possibly requiring a medical examination.

Eligibility to apply as you enter Canada

You can apply for a Work Permit upon entry to Canada if you meet the following requirements:

  • You are a citizen of the United States, Greenland, or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon.
  • You are not required to undergo a medical examination or already possess a medical certificate.
  • Your job does not require a Labour Market Impact Assessment from ESDC.
  • You have a Labour Market Impact Assessment from ESDC.

How can QACICS help?

If you have a job offer from a Canadian employer, QACICS can assist you by determining whether an LMIA from ESDC is necessary, helping your employer obtain the LMIA if required, preparing your Work Permit application, and providing guidance on the supporting documents needed for a successful application.

If you are interested in utilizing our services to obtain an LMIA from ESDC and/or a Work Permit, please submit your request through the General Inquiry Form.

If you would like to know more, answer a few simple questions Free Canada Immigration Eligibility Assessment and we will tell you if you qualify for Immigration to Canada. You may Call / WhatsApp +1 (416) 834-6031 or email info@qaimmigration.com or message us using the Contact form.

Temporary Status In Canada:

If you wish to come to Canada on a temporary basis, you can come as either a visitor, a student or a worker, assuming, of course, that you meet eligibility requirements.

Study Permits Temporary Resident (Visitor) Visas Work Permits

Permanent Status - Canada Immigration Categories:

Federal Skilled Worker Class Provincial Nominee Program Canadian Experience Class Federal Skilled Trades Class Family Class Business Self-Employed Business Start-Up Visa